7 shot, 1 fatally, in city shootings

Seven people were shot, one fatally, in attacks Monday across Chicago, police said.

A 29-year-old man died after after being shot in the face in the 1100 block of East 73rd Street in the South Side's Grand Crossing neighborhood about 9 a.m., according to police.

The Cook County medical examiner's office identified the man as Dontae Simmons, of the 6200 block of South Michigan Avenue. 

Simmons was arguing with the assailant, whom he knew, when the assailant pulled a gun and shot him in the face, police said.

He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead at 10:13 a.m.

The most recent attack happened about 7:35 p.m. on the West Side in the 1900 block of West Erie Street. A 69-year-old woman was shot in the leg by an assailant who stole her purse in the West Town neighborhood, police said.

The woman was taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition had stabilized. 

About 6:30 p.m. on the North Side, a 34-year-old man was shot in the 5200 block of North Lincoln Avenue in the Budlong Woods neighborhood.  The man suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen and was taken to Presence St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, police said.

Around 3:45 p.m. on the West Side, a shooting wounded a 17-year-old boy. He was in the 5300 block of West Madison Street in the South Austin neighborhood when someone shot him in the back. He went to Stroger Hospital, where his condition had stabilized, police said.

On the West Side about 1 p.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the right foot in the first block of North Lotus Avenue, also in South Austin. Police said the assailant fired multiple rounds at the victim, who was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.

About 11:40 a.m. on the West Side, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the back in the 1600 block of South Drake Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.

Another South Austin shooting wounded a 22-year-old man who was walking in the 300 block of North Central Avenue just before 9:30 a.m. The man was taken to an area hospital, where his condition had stabilized, police said.

Police reported no arrests, but detectives were investigating.

Copyright © 2017, Chicago Tribune